Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hirobo S.R.B Quark 40MHz Electric Helicopter (Full Set)



The new Hirobo SRB Quark from MRC just arrived at our offices, and naturally, I had to try it out right away. I was so impressed with what I found that we decided to share it with you online immediately so that you won't have to wait for my full review to appear in print. Let's take a look at what makes this machine so special.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
When I opened the box, I was immediately reminded of the earlier XRB Sky Robo Lama. The Quark shares Hirobo's attention to detail and careful packaging. The main display box has three inner boxes containing the fully assembled helicopter with a brushless motor, the 72MHz FM transmitter and, finally, spare main and tail rotor blades, a balancing charger for the 2S 480mAh LiPo and some basic tools. A great manual rounds out the package.







The Quark has "sacrificial" foam blades similar to those that made the Sky Robo so
safe in the house and around people. These blades are larger and more robust, but they still protect the machine, surrounding objects and people from undue injury if something goes awry. Since it comes fully assembled, though, let's skip right to the good stuff.

IN THE AIR
The Quark features a compact single rotor spanning about 14 inches, and it weighs just 6 ounces ready to fly. Those numbers might indicate a twitchy little handful when flying, but that isn't the case. Owing to the unique flybar system employed, the Quark is exceptionally stable and a perfect step up once you are comfortable with a coaxial ship like the Sky Robo. It is not quite as stable in hover, but unlike with coaxial machines, you can lower its nose and really move out. Before the end of the first battery, I was so comfortable with its stability that I didn't even notice that I had brought my right hand up to catch it until it was in my hand.

After experimenting in the front hall at the office to feel out the hover, I was very impressed when I took this little bird outside to buzz around. It does pitch up a little in forward flight, but not nearly as much as I thought it would. It tracks well, and the tail rotor has plenty of control to help you steer around the yard. Pirouettes stopped immediately, and the tracking while flying backwards is surprisingly clean. It handled the light breezes surprisingly well as I hovered near some of the bushes and then cruised around the parked cars.

Recovery to a hover is smooth, and there's very little tendency to overshoot with the controls. I think that the stability offered by the flybar in hover helps this transition.

THUMBS UP
I am very impressed by the SRB Quark, and I look forward to trying it out in a local school gym. The manual indicates a maximum flight time of 10 minutes, and my initial tests back that up. Yes, it is more expensive than some of the other small helis out there, but this is definitely a case of getting what you pay for, and I expect that the street price will be well below the number shown. The Quark is well made, it includes everything you need, and it flies beautifully. Look for more on this remarkable flyer in my complete report coming soon in Fly RC. That's all for now.

QUICK SPECS
FLYING WEIGHT: 6 oz.
LENGTH: 13.8 in.
ROTOR SPAN: 13.75 in.
ROTOR DISC AREA: 148.5 sq. in.
ROTOR DISC LOADING: 5.8 oz./sq. ft.
RADIO: 4-channel required; flown with included Hirobo SRB transmitter
POWER SYSTEM: Brushless outrunner with 2S 480mAh LiPo battery
DURATION: 9 - 10 min.
MINIMUM FLYING AREA: Any living room or small yard

www.rcecho.com

No comments:

Post a Comment